Nourish Bowls, veggie bowls, rainbow bowls……. I’m not up with all the latest names for them but I’m definitely a fan. Here are a few reasons why I love this way of eating.
1. It’s a great way to use up any leftover veggies that you have in the fridge.
If you know anything about me, you’ll know that I’m a big proponent of not wasting food. This is the perfect way to use up everything at the end of the week when there’s a few random things leftover.
2. You can make them to suit everyone’s taste without the extra effort of making more than one meal.
It’s pretty hard to please everyone, especially when there’s kids involved. With nourish bowls you can easily adjust each bowl to suit everyone’s taste without much extra effort. Add some extra sauces or condiments to add flavour for those that want it, keep them plain for the kids and picky eaters, just adjust slightly to suit everyone's likes and dislikes.
3. Intolerances can be catered for without having to change the whole meal.
If someone can’t have gluten, dairy, eggs, meat or anything else, just leave that bit out of their bowl.
4. Make meals full of fresh, healthy ingredients without needing a recipe or any cooking ability whatsoever.
t’s just ingredients in a bowl! There’s really no skill involved and yet you can create the most delicious meals.
5. They look beautiful, and there's actually a lot of benefit to that.
Lots of colour, and food that looks and smells amazing stimulates salivary enzymes that help you to digest your food effectively, particularly carbohydrates, which can lead to greater absorption of nutrients and a reduction of potential digestive symptoms.
Here's 5 nourish bowls ideas to give you some inspiration.
1. Burger Bowl
Burger and sweet potato chips without the bun.
Beef or veggie pattie
2. Leftover Curry Bowl
Leftover slow cooked curry
Rice cooked in bone broth with spinach
Raw diced veg eg. purple cabbage, carrot, cucumber
3. Thai Veg and Egg Bowl
4. Miso Mushroom Bowl
Mushrooms cooked in butter and miso paste
5. Roast Vegetable and Haloumi Bowl
Pan fried haloumi
Avocado with hemp seeds
Roast sweet potato